Squadron History

The Formation of 79 (Whitchurch) Squadron
The history of the Whitchurch Air Cadets can be traced back to 1942 when it was formed at a meeting called by the late Harry Richards.
At that time Whitchurch, Wem and Ellesmere each had their own flights which together formed the 1193 North Shropshire Squadron .
These 3 units were very successful during the 1940s with many cadets joining the wartime RAF.
but little is known of the progress of the unit after 1950, or of the girls unit formed in 1943 and known as the "Girls Training Corps", although it is believed both units disbanded in the 1950s.
In 1970 the Whitchurch Unit reformed as a Detached Flight of 1165 Sqn Oswestry, and received it's own Sqaudron status and number -79- in 1985.
in 1988 a Detached Flight was inaugurated in Market Drayton and the Whitchurch Sqn moved from Centre North East, next to the White Lion car park, into new headquaters at the Egerton Hall, Mill Street

Here is a list of Officers commanding the Squadron since its formation in 1985.

Rank.........................Name................................................Appointed
Flight Lieutenant.....Dennis Tilling RAFVR(T).................... February 1985
Flight Lieutenant.....Nigel Oakley RAFVR(T)......................January 1994
Flight Lieutenant.....Emma Pratt BSc(Hons) RAFVR(T)...  April 1998
Flight Lieutenant.....Andrew Morris RAFVR(T)...................March 2000
Flight Lieutenant.... Christopher Simmons RAFVR(T)..... . January 2002
Flight Lieutenant     Patrick Collins RAFVR(T)                   September 2008
Flight Lieutenant     Stephen Corbett RAFVR(T)                November 2011   




Why not come and see us
We parade Tuesdays and Thursdays 7:00pm to 9:30pm
The Drill Hall,  Mill Street, Whitchurch, Shropshire. SY13 1SQ

Community Web Kit provided free by BT